Thirty years ago in 1991, the Bolo Bash Golf Tournament was added to the line up of Bolo Bash events. The western themed fundraising dinner that began two years prior expanded to a three day event with a dinner, a ladies day and golf tournament!
The first tournament was held at Chenal Country Club, hosted around 200 golfers, and benefited the Emergency Department/ MedFlight. Other notable milestones include:
- In 1997, the Bolo Bash Golf Tournament expanded to two days with over 400 golfers.
- In 2002, Bolo Bash hosted over 500 golfers and a Championship Playoff began for the winners of each flight.
- In 2004, the tournament moved to two days and two courses – the Founders course and the new Bear Den Course.
- In 2007, we saw the most golfers Bolo Bash has seen to date with 620 golfers.
- In 2008, the tournament raised a record-breaking $805,000!
- In 2010, we celebrated the 20th Anniversary with a MedFlight golf ball drop and a golf shop for golfers to pick out their own special gift.
- In 2016, Bolo Bash featured a special golf clinic with David Toms & teaching professional Rob Akins.
Over the years, thousands of folks have come out for a nice day on the golf course. We have raised millions of dollars in support of our healing ministry, and there has been lots of fun along the way.
- Bolo Bash Golf Tournament has given away a Rolex watch, a Cobalt boat, a Caribbean cruise and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle to four Hole-In-One winners!
- Ted Snider played his 29th tournament with friend, Lyndell Lay, at the age of 90. The pair had played as partners in every tournament.
- Bolo Bash Golf Tournament has only been completely rained out one day in all its years.
- Gene Wilbourn is the only chairman to have chaired the event 3 times.
This special 30th anniversary tournament will be held in honor of Bob Shell. In the 30 years of Bolo Bash, there has not been a tournament held that Bob Shell was not in attendance…until now. Bob would be seen, with a Starbucks latte in-hand, visiting participants at registration, out on the course in his cart thanking people, and at the call-to-carts speaking about the healing ministry he loved so much. Bob wasn’t even a golfer, but he loved the tournament and loved getting others connected to Baptist Health.
Bob and his wife, Ginny, generously supported Bolo Bash from the very beginning. Bob worked on the Bolo Bash Golf Committee for years to ensure the tournament was top notch. Bolo Bash became the premiere golf tournament in the state and no doubt he had something to do with its status. Bob is greatly missed this year, but he is most definitely not forgotten!
The Bolo Bash Golf Tournament has a history of prestige and excitement. The 30th Anniversary has given us a hook with COVID-19 and social distancing restrictions, but we are still on par for an impactful event in support of our healing ministry. We are so grateful for all the support we have received over the years and look forward to teaming up with our friends during our next Baptist Health Bolo Bash as we strive to create a healthier Arkansas!!
To check out all the details of the 30th Anniversary Tournament on Sept 14 & 15, 2020, visit www.bolobashgolf.org.